The health and safety of our members and staff is our top priority. Beginning Thursday, March 19th we will be closing the lobbies of all our branches. Our online/mobile services and our call center are completely capable of providing all your banking needs. The drive thru and ATMS are open.


  • What do I need to provide to open an account?

    The information that  needs to be provided to open up a personal bank account is a valid US Identification Card, Social Security number, address, valid phone number. Also, $5.00 to keep in the savings account while the account is opened.

  • How does the NCUA provide protection to the members?

    The National Credit Union Administration, commonly referred to as NCUA, is an independent agency of the United States government that regulates, charters and supervises federal credit unions. NCUA also operates and manages the National Credit Union Share Insurance Fund (NCUSIF). Backed by the full faith and credit of the U.S. government, the NCUSIF insures the accounts of millions of account holders in all federal credit unions and the vast majority of state-chartered credit unions.  Savings are Federally insured to at least $250,000 by the NCUA and backed by the full faith and credit of the United States Government. 

  • Does Campco Federal Credit Union have a coin counter?

    Yes, coin counting is free to our members.  The coin counter is located in front of the teller pods.  

  • What is the difference between a bank and a credit union?

    A credit union is a cooperative financial institution owned by its depositors/members.  As a not-for-profit organization, Campco FCU returns its profits to its membership in the form of low loan rates, low fees and higher savings dividends.

  • Who is eligible for membership?

    Anyone who lives, works, or worships in Campbell, Converse, Crook, Johnson, Sheridan or Weston Counties, Wyoming is eligible for membership at Campco FCU. Also any immediate family of members can join Campco Federal Credit Union.

  • As a Campco FCU member, am I guaranteed to get a loan?

    Our credit decisions are based on your income and your ability to pay.  We look at every application, so you will always be treated as an individual, not a number on a credit report.  If you have extenuating circumstances, let us know.  We work with members to give them loans they need, and help them establish good borrowing habits.

  • Where do I send a payment or deposit?

    Send all correspondence to:
    PO Box 3169
    Gillette, WY  82717

    You may also drop off deposits or payments at Night Drop box located at our drive up locations:
    1110 E Boxelder Rd                              101 Ranch Drive
    Gillette, WY                                              Wright, WY

  • When will my deposit be credited to my account when using the Night Drop?

    When using the night drop, your deposit will be processed on the first business day.  However, there is no guarantee that your deposit will be processed before any pre-authorized payments, ACH payments or checks are debited from your account.  Non-sufficient Funds fees will apply when applicable.  All checks deposited are subject to Campco's Funds Availability Policy, which can be obtained from any Campco branch. 

  • What do I do if I forget my password to my online banking?

    If you forget your password to your online banking, call one of our Call Center Representatives during normal business hours at (307) 682-6105.  You may also visit a Financial Partner at either one of our locations in Gillette or Wright.  Your password will be reset with appropriate identification. If you would like to reset it yourself you may do so by clicking "?" under sign in home banking. 

  • What do I need to know about overdrafts and overdraft fees?

    An overdraft occurs when you do not have enough funds to cover an item presented for payment such as a check, debit or atm transaction, or ACH payments.  Campco may choose to authorize payment even when there are insufficient funds, but will charge a non-sufficient funds (NSF) fee of $29 per item, and there is no limit as to the total number of fees that we can charge you for overdrawing your account.  You can protect yourself by applying for our Overdraft Protection Plan.

  • What is Minnesota Life Insurance Company?

    Campco sponsors an Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance coverage that is offered to all members and administered through Minnesota Life Insurance Company.  Participation in this insurance is optional.  Each participating member will be charged a quarterly premium through a pre-authorized deduction from the participant's share account, and each participating member should receive correspondence from Minnesota Life Insurance Company stating the amount of the quarterly premium.  Participating members that wish to opt-out should contact Minnesota Life at 1-877-607-4376 Monday through Friday, 7am to 8pm, and Saturday 8:30am to 5pm, CST.